2.02.2009

italian beef stew

If you know me, you know how I looove anything Italian. The more authentic the better, and my dream is to one day visit that gorgeous country... but for now I content myself with cooking and browsing magazines with the slightest hint of anything Italian. I found this recipe on Kalyn's site and it definitely appealed to that side of me, not to mention it's deliciously low carb and I had leftover roast beef to use up.


Leftover Roast Beef Italian Stew
(Makes about 2-3 servings, recipe can easily be doubled.)

1/2 onion chopped
1/2 green pepper chopped (or more)
1 T olive oil
8-10 oz. leftover roast beef or steak (about 1 1/2 cups diced beef cubes)
2 cups beef stock (or 1 can beef broth plus a little water)
1 cup slow roasted tomatoes (or 1 can diced tomatoes)
1/2 T dried oregano
1/2 T dried basil
1 cup mushrooms, cut in large chunks
1-3 T chopped fresh or frozen chopped basil


Cut onion and green pepper into 3/4inch pieces, and roast beef and mushrooms into 1 1/2 inch pieces. In heavy dutch oven type pot, saute onions in olive oil for 3 minutes, add green pepper and saute 3 minutes more. Add beef, stock, tomatoes, oregano, basil, and mushrooms, reduce heat to very low, and simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste for seasoning, add salt and pepper if desired. Add fresh basil when stew has cook to desired consistency and cook 5-10 minutes more. Serve hot.

Note: I used Primo Chunky Tomatoes with Roasted Garlic and Basil, which I lightly chopped because we don't like it real chunky. And I didn't have fresh or frozen basil, which I imagine would add an incredible dimension... it's just not available in this remote part of the country. :)


No comments: