1.21.2009

dutch babies



This is not a healthy brunch recipe. Not by a long shot! But it's a great treat for those "once in awhile" Saturday mornings... I grew up on this recipe and it still reminds me of home - and my mom's warm kitchen...

Dutch Babies, aka German Pancake

6 Tbsp butter, divided
3 eggs
Salt to taste
3/4 cup milk
2/3 cup flour

Preheat oven to 375*. Melt 3 Tbsp. butter in 9x13" pan in oven while you mix remaining ingredients. Cream remaining 3 Tbsp. butter, eggs and salt. Add milk and flour; beat well. Pour mixture into heated pan with melted butter. Bake for 30 minutes. Mixture will bubble up. Serve hot with syrup. Our favorite syrup recipe is as simple as this:

Simple Syrup

1 cup whipping cream (could use half-and-half or evaporated milk)
1 cup brown sugar

Heat on medium until mixture bubbles slightly.

Also good dusted with powdered sugar and served with fresh fruit or a fruit sauce. Whatever you're in the mood for!

1 comment:

Norma said...

I've been thinking of these lately, too. There are recipes at Prepared Pantry (google it) - I get there email. You can order from them but I just take the free recipes! :)